Team sports have so many physical and emotional benefits, from keeping you active and healthy, to feeling a greater sense of belonging. Being involved in a community is just one of the many reasons to get involved with team sports.
We’ve put together a list of eight reasons why you should join a team sport. Check them out below!
- It feels good to be a part of a team – This is a no brainer! Feeling a part of a group and having a sense of community is something we all strive for because it makes us feel good!
- It will increase your overall fitness – Anything that increases your activity level is a positive so exercising with a team is a great way to work out because it makes it more fun!
- Team sports improve mental health – A number of research studies have revealed that regularly participating in a team sport lowers levels of stress. With so many facets of our lives causing stress, why wouldn’t you do the things that calm you?
- It’s a great way to make friends – Joining a sports team is a fantastic way to make new friends, particularly if you’ve just started university or you’ve recently moved towns.
- It improves motivation levels – With other people relying on you, you’re more likely to show up to training. It’s easy to skip a gym session because of an assignment or being too tired whereas it’s much more difficult to tell your teammates that you can’t make it to training.
- Team sports make you a better person – Learning to compromise and work with other people is a great skill team sports will teach you. You will learn about how to handle victory as well as defeat. This is a priceless skill that will be applied in many situations in life.
- Team sports increase long term happiness – The positive social interaction that team sports enable help to create strong feelings of self-identity, which in turn increase happiness.
- You’ll have fun – As cliché as it is, playing sport with a big group of people is a whole lot of fun. To keep you sane, taking a break from writing essays and studying for exams is important…that’s where team sports come in! They take your mind off things for a couple of hours and leave you refreshed!
It could be soccer, basketball, tennis, hockey…the list goes on! Which team sport would you like to try? Whatever it may be, throw yourself into it, try your hardest and have fun.